Can I go directly to a psychologist to receive treatment through Medicare?

Your doctor must first assess whether you require the services of a psychologist. You should book a longer session with your GP to enable him/her enough time to complete an assessment and prepare a Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP) for you before referring you to a psychologist.

Your doctor can also prescribe medication e.g. anti-depressants for depression or medication for the treatment of anxiety to be used in conjunction with psychological treatment.

If you do not have Permanent Residency or access to Medicare in Australia, or should you choose to self refer without the referral of a doctor, you will have to carry the full cost of consultations.

See all FAQ's